Tow Bar For E54A ( HJ ) 7g Galant all the way through to 8G
Talking sedan hear.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Ok, was asked to take photos of my towbar on my car and with it removed in another thread so here we are...

Car from the rear, towbar on (notice handy kingchrome set)
PA260277.jpg

Underneath towbar on
PA260278.jpg

Car from rear, towbar off
PA260279.jpg

underneath towbar off
PA260281.jpg

The time to take it off was about 2 - 3 mins, it's attached by two bolts, then the rest of the frame is hidden up underneath. The two small bolts further back are the frame attached to the spare wheel well and then the frame is bolted into the chassis of the car, very solid unit and very pleased with the job. Would recommend to any VIC guys wanting one installed. $750 Sunshine Trailers

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
tow bars

Hwy Just wondering if any guys in QLD have had tow bars fitted, i am chasing one for now as well?

Cheers

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
For the Brisbane people, had mine fitted on Thursday for $450 from Wynumm Towbars.
Cnr Burke and Tingal St
07 3893 0411

Ask for Leo, very good job, just took all day though so I dropped it off in the morning and went into Brisvegas for the day.

He fitted the 7 pin flat to give it more ground clearance, all in all great job- rated to 1000kg

Here are the pics

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26885&postcount=2

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
This is tops thanks Simon. I'm going straight there when I get my DVT.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I have gone to a couple of places here in SA.

Hall towbars said $400, 1000kg rated, days work.

Allin Towbars said it couldn't be done as there was no where to mount it to.

Kiwibstokes: Is your bar just bolted to the sheet metal of the spare wheel well? I don't think I would feel safe towing anything with just that...

After reading another thread, there is a guy in the UK towing a 2.5ton yacht, so it must be possible to get a heavy duty bar on there.

Who can make me a tow bar rated at 2000kg to suit Legnum? Will buy from interestate as it seems that SA places are useless.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Pretty sure Kiwibstokes paid about $700 for his, not sure of the rating though

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea i just went with the first place was $700 but no it not bolted into spare wheel well, does have a bolt to hold straight or something but main frame goes up and to the sides and into the chassis. Towbar it's self is rated to 3000kg, however they said 1000kg because of running gear, example power of motor and manual you could easily burn out the clutch, or even break something in driveline. The rating would go up for a auto, i'd say 2500kg would be about max tho.

I've towed a good size boat with mine about 1700kg i think on a 3hr drive, was a little hard to get moving at first but cruised fine on open road. Didn't use my car to put into and out of water tho. Got 350kms outta the tank for interests sake 10km more than around town driving

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
One of the guys in NZ, William, has a 2t plus boat that he tows regularly with his VR-4. He used to have a auto and found he either overheated the auto gearbox, or if he had a trans cooler fitted he just overheated the engine!

Now he has a manual and couldn't be happier passing normal cars up hills with a big arse boat on behind!

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
what ever happened to the group buy we were talking about im guesing it never happened ?
im still looking for somwhere to get one from in aus havnt had any luck yet

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Yea i just went with the first place was $700 but no it not bolted into spare wheel well, does have a bolt to hold straight or something but main frame goes up and to the sides and into the chassis. Towbar it's self is rated to 3000kg, however they said 1000kg because of running gear, example power of motor and manual you could easily burn out the clutch, or even break something in driveline. The rating would go up for a auto, i'd say 2500kg would be about max tho.

I've towed a good size boat with mine about 1700kg i think on a 3hr drive, was a little hard to get moving at first but cruised fine on open road. Didn't use my car to put into and out of water tho. Got 350kms outta the tank for interests sake 10km more than around town driving

So the two bolts that go into the spare wheel well are just to hold the bar straight?

Do you think you can get a few more under car shots of the mounting points and the bar in general so i can take it to some places and show what i want?

Would be VERY GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

G

Unregistered
what is the approx tow capacity for a legnum? id be hoping to want to two my track/weekend car which weighs 1300kg.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Found this on CVR4:

Towing capacity with brakes (kg) 1200 (means the trailer / caravan has brakes)

Towing capacity without brakes (kg) 570

Dont know how correct it is but would seem about right.

G

Unregistered
bugger. so it wont be towing the sss then. ironically saw a magna sedan towing a lancer on the back of a servo car trailer the other weekend.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Magna's have a 1500kg towing capacity, so would have been fine... seems the legnums/galants are not quite as strong.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You've got to be freaken KIDDING. Magna's are totally underpowered and FWD is a DEATHTRAP for towing. I've heard of magnas FWD bias causing the trailer to rock about, eventually turning and flipping the car with boats, caravans and even caged trailers. I'd happily play Russian Roulette before I put a load greater than 300kgs behind a Magna...

G

Unregistered
i was going to say, half a tonne towing capacity for a twin turbo v6 awd versus a n/a fwd v6... :(

thats amazing.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Im sure its more to do with the Chassi strength and towbar construction than power of the motor alone. Perhaps if you went to a towbar specialiast (like Hayman Rece) they could probably tell you better than anyone. No doubt the towbar would be costly being custom though.

Top Bottom