Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1998 manual vr4 leggie (sold)
1999 auto legnum. Bigger turbos, built auto
1973 vj valiant sedan. Barra swapped
1990 galant vr4 RS
Having missed my legnum that I sold 10 years ago, I have finally bought another. This time auto and FL but packed with a few mods already done to it. When I had purchased it at the beginning of the year it had already been fitted with front brembos, bc coilovers, mamba turbos, walbro 255, evo 7 wheels, timing kit and new genuine front LCA'S. Since owning it I had upgraded to a gtr35 cop kit, fmic, hot side piping, replace the tb elbow with a silicone/aluminium pipe and a dual fuel rail setup with a turbosmart fpr. But unfortunately last month the bottom end went ( rod knock). And that was fine as I had a 6g74,box and tcase from an awd magna sitting around doing nothing. So out went the 6a113 and the process to get the 6g74 in started. Before this all happened I was already building a 6g75 Mivec for it on the side so there was no better time to get the 6G conversion sorted out then now.

20240429_180904.jpg
20240429_214139.jpg

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
I will try to do my best and get a list of everything needed once the car is running under its own power. And as of tonight it runs and started up first kick. So the next step is to work out the mounting brackets for the front and rear roll stops, radiator hoses, exhaust piping for the single turbo off the stock headers, plumb the turbo up and get the p/s lines sorted. Once this is done I can drop it all to do a timing kit, replace some gaskets and build the auto.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Cool, when my motor blew I seriously considered putting a 6G75 in and eventually turboing it. Keen to see progress.

I assume you are running an auto? My understanding was the manual box will require an adaptor plate. There is a mob in Mexico(?) doing a limited production run now.

See:
Edit: To use above you would still need the front part of the bellhousng form an Evo 4-6...

Last edited:

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
That would've been a cool swap and the 6g75 would've been easier since it had the spot already cast into the head for the cam sensor. Yeah mate I'm staying auto but it is also full built to cope with the extra power/torque. I thought about doing a manual swap but I daily this thing in sydney traffic, so I decided stay away from it haha

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
Thought i would post a small update, after a few weeks of being busy and hitting a couple of small hurdles. The car has been almost completely reassembled and fingers crossed back up and driving by the end of this week.

20240604_172453.jpg

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
This photo is from a week ago when i was still going through the wiring and everything else, so excuse the mess haha

20240604_172126.jpg

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Pearl White 1998 PFL Legnum
Hell yeah! That’s sick mate!
How hard was it in the end? Custom mounts? Or found stuff from other cars that worked?

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
It has been quite straight forward to be honest. So far all the mounts have had Mad polly inserts installed to allow for trimming and slight angles.

1x timing side mount magna with 10-11mm taken off each side

1x legnum rear roll stop and stock bracket

1x legnum gearbox mount

1x front magna roll stop bracket (modified) with stock legnum mount

Last edited:

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
What gearbox adaptor did you end up with and clutch/flywheel combination? Assume you went hydraulic release bearing and converted to push clutch?

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
I actually stuck with the Auto for the ease of conversion and because the box was built to hold more power. But to adapt the legnum box to the 6G, i just needed to swap the bellhousing over and add the vss to the 6G bellhousing

Last edited:

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
Car should've been driving tonight, but mistakes were made and a drill bit went through my new trans cooler. So once a replacement has been sorted i should be able to start driving it. Ps, the maf sensor is only there until i have sorted out my battery relocation.

20240703_232431.jpg

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Did you import your 6G75mivec yourself?

Cool as conversion

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
Did you import your 6G75mivec yourself?

Cool as conversion
Thanks mate. I bought it from a 2007 mitsubishi pajero that was being parted out. They were sold here from 2007 to 2011 or 2012 ?

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
First drive and It goes with such little effort! Apart from a few small issues, it went well i think.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
Thanks mate. I bought it from a 2007 mitsubishi pajero that was being parted out. They were sold here from 2007 to 2011 or 2012 ?
Ohh I just assumed it was a USDM variant, rather than the local paj type. Still: top work.

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
Ok so i will give a brief rundown on what was needed to complete this swap.

Engine mounts:
Timing side mount (drivers side) is stock magna with a poly insert that had to be trimmed as it is wider than the stock legnum.

Front roll stop is stock bracket with the bottom bolt hole slotted to move it over as the 6g bellhousing has the holes casted slightly off centre and i needed to run spacers behind the bracket aswell. Poly insert was also use.

Gearbox and rear roll stop are stock with poly inserts ( no modifications needed).

Electrical:
The stock 6g74 from a magna runs a distributor and crank sensor, while the legnum uses a cam trigger wheel with sensor and a crank trigger. So, to rectify this issue i made a plate to run off the mounting points off the head while using a spare 6g75 motor i had sitting here as a reference for spacing and clearence. The factory 6g75 380 heads already have a provisions cast into the head to bolt a cam position straight up. So imo i would run 380 head if possible to avoid hours of work and possible damage if the custom bracket vibrates the bolts loose. Now we need a cam gear with a trigger wheel attached. That is where a 6g72 from a mitsubishi triton,delica or pajero comes into play. Not all had them but if i recall correctly, it was from 1998-1999 to 2003 that had these. Also part number for a new one (which i highly recommend to avoid there already being damaged and having warpage) is MD313745.

Alternator wiring was picked from the engine harness and extended to run at the front of the motor as the 6g has both the Alternator and power steering pump flipped compared to the stock 6a113 setup. The 6g Alternator also runs 2 wires where the standard legnum runs 4. To fix this, i got a plug to suit the stock 6g alternator and chopped off the outter 2 wires and retained the inner 2.

Tps and iscv. These wires need to be extended as the intake manifold should've been flipped 180° and had the throttle body now pointing towards the drivers side. Just cut your plugs off, extend the wires.

Oil Pressure switch wire needs to be further extended to line up with the new one on your 6g ofh.

power steering switch wire was also picked from the harness and extended to the rear of the motor.

Gearbox:
Now the only bolt on option available to keep your AWD is an automatic from a mitsubishi magna. These can be built up quite strong and handle what most people can throw at them.

I used my stock legnum outter casing and attached the bellhousing from the magna awd 6g box with no modifications, other than having to add my vss from my original legnum bellhousing as the magna doesn't use one.

Knock sensor:
The 6g74 magna motor doesn't have one but it does have factory provisions under the intake manifold to adapt one. So, if you can find a knock sensor bracket from a 6g75 380 or pajero grab it. You will then need to drill out the hole in which the sensor sits and re tap it to suit the factory legnum thread. Also, a bit of grinding is needed to make the mounting surface flat as the 6g75 knock sensor is different and sits on a weird angle.

Distributor removal:
Find yourself a 6g75, they have a block off cap on the rear head.

Turbo manifolds:
These will obviously need to be custom. But, i would highly recommend a twin turbo setup as there is almost no space with a single turbo and the heat from it will destroy things if you don't have adequate heat protection. Ie sleeving, ceramic coated manifolds, heat wrap etc

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
All MK Tritons (1997-2003) with a 6g72 will have the correct cam wheel and sensor.

Pajero of the same era too (also long as its a sohc 24v)

Reminds of my 6G74 conversion on my MK, donor was a Magna. Needing to drill and tap heads to mount sensors, drill and tap block for engine mounts.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
Are you running a legnum ecu?

When I originally did my 6G75 swap I wanted to explore using a legnum ecu but abandoned it for Magna ecu and dizzy. Would be awesome to be able to use oem bits to ditch the dizzy

mrleggie95

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Nelson
Drive
1990 galant vr4 RS
Yeah mate i kept the stock ecu, as that was the goal. Try and make the swap as plug in as possible, so that others doing the same didn't have to worry about spending $$ for an aftermarket ecu. Oh nice! Do you have any pictures of it ?

Top Bottom