Lets talk Manual gear ratios

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Nahh the current exedy is doing it's job fine, so why bother changing?

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Any thing new on the new gearsets anybody has put in?? "digging up an old and forgotten thread"

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've had the 2.928, 1.950, 1.407, 1.031, 0.721 gearset in my car since the end of 2008 as the thread above alludes to. Here is the thread posted on cvr4 http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36411&highlight=gear+ratios+thoughts

My only complaint about the longer 5th is that my exhaust drones a bit at 2500rpm which used to have disappeared at 110kmh but now at 110kmh I can hear the exhaust a bit. Annoyingly at 120kmh it is silent and stays silent when cruising at speeds of up to 180kmh.

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
so in a typical 50kmph street speed zone you would reconmend 4th or 5th ?

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Is it a hard task to change 1st and 2nd gearsets over to the longer ratios?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
It is a full gearbox out job, so you can't do it in an hour or two!

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Lol yeah i know i realise that and a good thing the whole engine is coming out next week too, so once the box is out is it pretty straight forward? and who else apart from ivan can supply the 1st,and 2nd gear sets? hes not replying to me :(

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Make sure you carefully remove the bearing races and make sure you know which went where and which preload spacer is from which. This is very important.

In all honesty you should probably change the bearings while you have it apart, just make sure all the preloads are re-done.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Riiiiiiiight, I need to source the gearsets first, cant find any :(

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
BAHAHA i think you may find some before I do if your looking.......... ive got other priorities like rear turbo :(, ive asked a few times where i can source the gearsets from but i never got any assistance, maybe if you find out you can help me out too :p as i think my box is coming close for a bearing overhaul and would like to swap gearsets same time obviously

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
PPG dont have synchros; not as good for daily.

Check to see if par-engineering could help I hear they do straight cut synchros for the evo. also sheptrans but I think they are mainly drag. I have no idea of price on either of these.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
the rest of your car will fall to peices before that breaks.

actually the 'koval' evo ended up blowing a peice of its gearbox casing apart cause the gears didnt give lol

Top Bottom