Lets talk Manual gear ratios

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Yes they do, they provide either synchro engagement or dog engagement.

From the link above which one is the synchro engagement? The one for $11000?

edit I'll read through and get more info about them.

edit again: I am confused now Jonson. Admittedly I know next to nothing about this stuff but I am looking around since I broke the diff.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
I might inquire about them and get some more info on them.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Arent they a bit overkill for the sort of power people are making out of vr4s?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
So... who else has done this and which are the desired first/second gearset part numbers?

Don't really won't the other gear ratios to change from what they are so that should narrow it down some. ;-)

R.J

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ramitass
Drive
1999 Galant Vr4
hey, I'm just wondering, would any Evo 5speed gearbox fit on our Vr4? Because I'm having problem finding parts for the gearbox bearings, snycro etc... I have a 1999 Galant Vr4 without the AYC. Can someone help me please with this as I would like to get my car back on the road.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
The internal components can be interchanged. Also if you message me what you're wanting we can supply everything you need.

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
Alright. I've now had the car to drive for a little while, I can give my opinion.

5th gear is much better on the freeway, the car is slightly less responsive. In the great state of Victoria, this is a good thing. It means you're not suddenly in the boost range, and doing 160km/h because you looked too hard at the accelerator pedal.
Overtaking or engine braking requires a shift down to 4th. Around town, 5th is above 75km/h only, less than that, stay in 4th.

Can't comment yet on fuel economy. That will take a few tanks to settle, but the car is much more relaxed at 100-110km/h.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Alright. I've now had the car to drive for a little while, I can give my opinion.

5th gear is much better on the freeway, the car is slightly less responsive. In the great state of Victoria, this is a good thing. It means you're not suddenly in the boost range, and doing 160km/h because you looked too hard at the accelerator pedal.
Overtaking or engine braking requires a shift down to 4th. Around town, 5th is above 75km/h only, less than that, stay in 4th.

Can't comment yet on fuel economy. That will take a few tanks to settle, but the car is much more relaxed at 100-110km/h.
What did You end up doing to your car and how much did it set You back

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
I had the Evo 0.720:1 5th gear fitted as part of my gearbox overhaul.

Total through Techsport was $1200, but that was with the box already out of the car, and the box was significantly hammered.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Any idea where to get a 1st and 2nd Evo gear from in Australia and any idea how much

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
theres a stock CN9A GSR gearbox lying around, anybody can give confirmation the gear ratio spec? i did some browsing and found out theres no clear specific gear ratio for cn9a gsr stock manual gear box ratio. BTW anygood to swap vr4 5th with cn9a 5th gear ratio?

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
theres a stock CN9A GSR gearbox lying around, anybody can give confirmation the gear ratio spec? i did some browsing and found out theres no clear specific gear ratio for cn9a gsr stock manual gear box ratio. BTW anygood to swap vr4 5th with cn9a 5th gear ratio?
Your not going to swap 1st and 2nd too?? From what I understand they are the more important ones to change

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Your not going to swap 1st and 2nd too?? From what I understand they are the more important ones to change

sure gav, definitely i will swap the 1st and 2nd gear, but another forum said the stock cn9a 5th gear has the same with stock vr4. so made me confused. i am hybriding the td03 and use 262 cam from adam, so i think it will no problem with lower evo 5th gear rasio on vr4. BTW what bradc mean with Evo A and Evo B stock gear set?

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
sure gav, definitely i will swap the 1st and 2nd gear, but another forum said the stock cn9a 5th gear has the same with stock vr4. i am hybriding the td03 and use 262 cam from adam, so i think it will no problem with lower evo 5th gear rasio on vr4. BTW what bradc mean with Evo A and Evo B stock gear set?
Evo 4-6 use a and 7-9 use b i believe. Or something like that

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
It's either 4-6 or 4-7 and for ratio A

Yes Gav, I am reading again bradc first posting and reading this http://mark.cb.spb.ru/pub/MMC_Evolution/Evo_Transmission_Information.pdf give me some enlightenment :D :D now i am understand. well maybe stock VR4 has bigger ratio on 1st and 2nd gearset than evo because vr4 heavier that evo 4-9 turns out evo competition gearset also has more close and bigger gearset ratio :D :D than their stock. CMIIW 1st, 2nd and 5th gearset swap on vr4 recommended only for vr4 with modified engine so we can not loose acceleration

Reactions: Gav

mgtd98

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cmdghost
Drive
Galant 2.0 TD (DD), Galant V6 2.5, Legnum VR4 PFL
greetings.
Why not mate a evo gearbox to a 6a13?
with some adapter plates...wondering if it would be easier....

Top Bottom