The Intercooler Thread

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Mine sounds great to...best thing I have done

VR-4Fan

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ilya
Drive
MMC Galant VR-4 1997 Type S
Hi guys !!!
Here is mine installation of FMIC 600x300x76 with 76 pipes (OBX both FMIC and pipes)

URL%5D

As you can see the impact bar are totally cut off except the two side pieces.
The pipes work is not finished yet.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
what does the hard piping do.. make your turbos spool sound louder? i wouldnt mind that lol..

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I'm about to make a decision between the Greedy V spec imported from Japan or a PWR 600 x 300 x 73 core and custom pipes. Depends on the cost of the custom pipes though, still waiting on a quote for them, from what I have seen they can be very expensive.

Anyone know what the deal is between 3" and 2.5" pipes though? What's best there? I need to know this before I order one.

G

Unregistered
let me know how much the custom pipes cost you, im looking at the same intercooler for mine. group buy??? lol

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
let me know how much the custom pipes cost you, im looking at the same intercooler for mine. group buy??? lol

I chose a PWR 600 x 210 x 76 with 2.5" outlets in the end. No need to modify anything, should fit straight in. I don't think the pipes are gonna cost too much. We are gonna use silicon for all the bends, Dave has plenty in stock, and they are cheap.

The standard air box is gonna be ditched and a custom intake created beneath where the battery used to be. Plenty of space under there and it's isolate from a lot of the engine bay heat. I suspect the piping setup will look similar to Carstens, similar route I mean but less hard pipe and more silicon. Not sure about price yet. Should find out in a week or so when it's done.

Heres a pic of Carstens.

f1.JPG

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I was recommended Embleton Engineering to do the cooler pipes. The guys on the WA Silvia forum use them all the time and said that their prices are reasonable and their work is professional.

I dropped by today and was quoted $1200 for polished stainless steel, including clamps and silicon bends and a custom air intake beneath the battery space...I think its pretty reasonable. The dude there seemed very confident and willing.

Dave said he is snowed under with jobs and one of his mechanics is due to be fired, so he is happy for me to go to these guys also as it will get the R & D program moving again. I'm booked in for next tuesday, finished by friday, I'll post the pics.

G

Unregistered
Yeh, embleton were customers of where i used to work. A lot of cars i know of with really serious power figures have had custom work done there, they have been mentioned in a few magazines etc.
Yeh the price isnt bad, the 600x300PWR cooler i was going to get was going to cost me $580 even with a massive discount so i have been looking for other avenues to pursue. I found a 600x248xsomething Greddy with piping kit on RHD for 1300/1400 and that interested me greatly, has anyone on here got that kit/know anything about it, or shall i be the first???

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
as far as i remember.. Rasi's got the Greddy kit.. not sure if he's installed it back..

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Remember though that the greedy kit only comes with the bottom two pipes, you would still need to replace the upper ones. I was seriously considering that kit also but after discussing it with Dave I decided the 210 one from PWR would be fine, no real need to go any bigger in his opinion.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
no real need to go any bigger in his opinion.

I agree with this..

but what I would like is.. 700x250x76 core size and 2.5" in/outlets IMO that would really cool down the air inside the cooler.. :)

I wonder if anyone's actually tried to fit one..

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
PWR can make any size you want, so I am sure you could get one to these specs. It takes them about 10 days.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I agree with this..

but what I would like is.. 700x250x76 core size and 2.5" in/outlets IMO that would really cool down the air inside the cooler.. :)

I wonder if anyone's actually tried to fit one..
You're insane Chris - have you seen how difficult it is to get inlet pipes attached to the sides of 600 wide cores?? Going to 700 wide you'll have 120° bends on your pipes which will be a severe impediment to flow. I'd be surprised if your additional core size will make up for it. In fact, with the flow rate drop from the harsh pipe corners and larger core size I think you'll find your performance drops quite a bit - you'd need to go for bigger tubos to overcome those restrictions.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Trev, thanks for the input.. I was originally looking at the GTR style cooler as the end tanks were on a bend already, as well as the angle of it isn't that steep compared to other aftermarket ones.. and of course, the one i would want is approximately 250mm height maximum..

hey, we can always try crazy things right? and we only live ones.. :)

G

Unregistered
i sent an email to RHD and they said it was a FULL kit (inc piping etc).

so ive obviously read too far into it having a complete pipe set. ?

ill send another email. otherwise its back to PWR

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I think if it came with a full pipe kit, it would be a good deal. However if it doesn't replace the upper pipes then the PWR core plus custom pipes would work out to be a similar price. This is what I worked out anyway.

G

Unregistered
OK.

I have a black car.

I have black rims

I now have a big shiny front mount (PWR 600x300 yet to be installed)

Spot the odd one out. . .

My question is in regards to intercooler painting, and i know there is debate about whether painting it affects performance etc. but thats not my issue.

I figure, if people cant see the aftermarket cooler, there will be a whole heap more "WTF was that???" moments. And im going for a stealth look overall anyway.

I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of business (i.e. radiator/panel & paint) would do anodising? Its just that i believe the process involves a whole bunch of chemicals etc. and maybe i would have to get it done somewhere more industrial?

Thoughts/Opinions?

Cheers..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Regi you can indeed get it done, but it's not cheap. Talk to either of these guys:

Advanced Anodising & Electroplating Pty Ltd
Unit 2 & 3/ 29 Gillam Drv
Kelmscott WA 6111
9495 4995

Anodisers WA
3 Ladner St
O'Connor WA 6163
9337 7644

You'll need to take your IC in to them to get an accurate quote. Let us know what it ends up costing you :)

Top Bottom