The Intercooler Thread

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yes the factory pipes are hard steel 2.5" black tubing but do not come around to meet a aftermarket front mount. that is why ivan x3e motorsports made up silicon pipes to connect from the factory hard pipes to the factory metal pipe.

the piping kits on ebay etc will but up to a aftermarket front mount
the piping the returns to the engine bay to the same point as the factory piping... this has been covered several times with in this thread.

so you still need to get the other peices fabricated as there is not kit (other than the streetbitz one that does not fit properly) that have came with the other 3 peices...

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Fair enough. I have always been planning on getting a DIY jigsaw piping kit for my car off ebay anyhow. I'd probably keep the LHS one put in the corner with 2 sillicones and replace the rest.

Anyhooo, sif i'm going to trawl the whole thread for the info.

thanks Outlanded!

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
hey guys,just bought an intercooler

its a 600x280x76 BAR AND PLATE.just wondering because ive heard that bar and plate can restrict the air to the air con condenser and radiator severely.is the true??

and also,just wondering how heavy everyone elses intercoolers are?
because this one weighs 7.5kgs,and compared to the factory one seems like im adding a lot of extra weight,im guessing thats the downside to bar and plates also

so basically i want to know the downside of bar and plate and want to know if i should should just up the price and sell it to my gf's doosh of a brother,ill tell him it has ultra flow bars and super venting duo plates specifically for sti's

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
As Pete suggested, there are fitment issues - the kit requires a fair bit of modification. Not to mention the guy's a cock :banghead:

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Hey Guys,

I've got a couple of questions and couldn't find anything earlier...

-Is there any noticeable gains on an aftermarket Front Mount? (as the current legnum ones are still fairly large, but not sure how much pressure drop/cooling efficiency is)
-Also after upgrading to an aftermarket Front Mount intercooler, do you guys notice that the piping is cooler or same as before?

Thank you

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Upgrading the intercooler does help a bit, really only required if you are increasing the boost though.

Chrisvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
Chris
Drive
Oldsmobile Alero GLS with a GT40 turbo and a newly edited Galant'98 VR4 Type S manual
Hey guys, will a 3.5 inch thick fit size is 27 x 6 x 3.5 inch

dato1200

Crunching Gears
First Name
dan
Drive
datsun 1200 2001 legnum vr4 type S
the standand intrecooler is all this car needs for the standard size of the turbos that are on it so unless you are going to change them then why bother

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
the standand intrecooler is all this car needs for the standard size of the turbos that are on it so unless you are going to change them then why bother

It probably isn't worth the $1100 that the kits are going for now, but if you can piece together a kit for less than that (which you can if you shop around) I think it is probably worthwhile. Just from feel, and I have no data to back this up, I don't think the stock cooler does a very good job at all...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
A lot of the cheap intercoolers are very badly made though. Too many tightly packed fins restricting airflow and ineffecient designs for letting the air into the I/C itself.

If you were after performance increases, you'd be better off spending the bigger bucks on the much better quality units that flow through much better and have better internal designs.

Though, with the dollar the way it is, I'd rather look into replacing the soft piping, keeping the stock cooler and setting up an intelligent water spray kit.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
A lot of the cheap intercoolers are very badly made though. Too many tightly packed fins restricting airflow and ineffecient designs for letting the air into the I/C itself.

If you were after performance increases, you'd be better off spending the bigger bucks on the much better quality units that flow through much better and have better internal designs.

Though, with the dollar the way it is, I'd rather look into replacing the soft piping, keeping the stock cooler and setting up an intelligent water spray kit.

Yes, I agree. I think I should be able to do a Greddy Spec LS intercooler + aluminium and silicone piping for around the $800 mark... I haven't sorted it all out at this stage because I'm not looking to do it straight away, but that's the rough price I'd be aiming for.

When you consider that I can get a full Greddy Spec LS kit, including all piping, for my Silvia for about $700 the VR4 kit prices seem completely ridiculous. Just down to economies of scale I guess.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i recently installed a greddy spec r kit, and i dont know if its just that ive only recently got the car back, but at first i didnt notice a big difference (other than slightly better throttle response?) but then now at night, it scares me :p dont know ifs in my head :D spec LS might actually be even better suited anyway - the R kit is still partially covered by the factory kit.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
hmm okay, thanks guys! appreciate the replies, getting a few mixed ideas, but I think in the end (Especially when I'll be running stock boost) probably leaving the stock front mount is the way to go

Maybe a Cry02 is the go!:drool:

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The bottom line is that an upgraded intercooler is a support modification, not a power adding modification in itself.

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
The bottom line is that an upgraded intercooler is a support modification, not a power adding modification in itself.

Yes , thank you.

Although i did a bigger cooler (and knew it would do SFA) its still something wicked to do to the car , lol.

I guess if you are on a tight budget and are planning to build the car up over X amount of time then you buy what you can at the time.

Top Bottom