The Intercooler Thread

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
im keen to give it a go hey but not sure wat size cooler to get i dont want to cut the reo or bar!!!!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
The core size is the measurements of the intercooler "cooling" section (fins and bar/plate/tube) itself.

The END tanks are the large triangular sections at each end of the intercooler fins that funnel down to where the hoses attach to.

When the sizes of intercoolers are quoted, it's only the cooling area and not counting the size of the end tanks.

Hope this helps clear things up for you :)

[edit] After a SEARCH through this very thread, on post #70 thanks to Hawks (Mark) he has supplied this pic.

DSC00442.jpg

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Comparison between the OEM and the kit I have installed:

And here are the difference between the stock OEM and what's been fitted to Loki.

x3m600x260x76vsoemke6.jpg

-Bar/plate 600x260x76mm FMIC with brackets (rear view), OEM FMIC below it.

x3moemtankcl4.jpg

-Outlet view of the OEM FMIC. As you can see, air goes in through the top tube, goes through the vertically-positioned fins and out through a similar tube at the base.

x3m600x260x76tanklx6.jpg

-Outlet view of the upgraded FMIC. The fin density is not too packed to allow air through, where squared-fin direct contact allows for more efficient cooling inside the core itself. The end-tank construction is pretty smooth internally as well.

x3m600x260x76finshh5.jpg

-600x260x76mm external fin density.

And just for the sake of comparision, below is the photo of my OEM FMIC against the type normally seen on eBay, the 600x200x70mm tube/fin FMIC (not supplied).

x3m600x200x70vsoemtk2.jpg

Now here are my thoughts on the setup and fitting.

The brackets are positioned at an ideal height that does NOT require cutting of the crash bar, hanging lower. The end tanks and supplied hard piping do NOT foul the front bar/foglights on a Series 1 front bar ;)

The OEM power steering cooling tube is replaced with an aluminium tube instead, cutting or replacing the tubing supplying the fluid as well. It'd be a good chance to flush your power steering fluid too!

I have no idea where the bottom "L" bracket fits to. It doesn't match anything on the car (not even the plastic stone guard).

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
geez trev,haha u wouldnt last a second on boost cruising if that annoyed you,then again,apart from scrolling through the for sale classifields who would want to stay for more than a second

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
No worries, it was basically trawling through a few hundred posts on here and grabbing what info I could find.

I'm a bit of a photo-whore anyway, and thought it may be interesting to put up photos of the insides of the FMICs as a comparison.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
geez trev,haha u wouldnt last a second on boost cruising if that annoyed you,then again,apart from scrolling through the for sale classifields who would want to stay for more than a second
Let the 12yo's stay on boost cruising, they're not welcome here.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
No worries, it was basically trawling through a few hundred posts on here and grabbing what info I could find.

I'm a bit of a photo-##### anyway, and thought it may be interesting to put up photos of the insides of the FMICs as a comparison.

What I mean is I wouldn't have bothered with someone who writes at a 3rd grade level.;)

Have you read the rules Adam? In Mike/Van's words...

6) Check your grammar and punctuation before posting. I don't expect scholarly posts, but try to make sure they're legible. Commas, periods, these are your friends. You wouldn't speak like a retard offline, so don't do it on OZVR4. Oh and stay the hell away from the CAPS KEY. Posts written entirely in CAPS without good reason may be deleted without notice - you have been warned!

G

Unregistered
Why is everyone so anti-caps lock??? I don't see the difference.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Apart from the netiquette issue, its actually fatiguing to read - I don't enjoy eye strain or headaches :banghead:

G

Unregistered
Hope this isnt a stupid question but ill ask it anyway! My intercooler has a of paint missing of it andits starting to piss me off lol. Can i just spray it black, obviousley while the car isnt running or is that a bad idea?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
It should be right to spray it black. Just grab some engine paint / heat resistant paint from an auto store.

Also make sure you do a really good job of masking everything else up and actually prep the surface, don't just whack some paint on it.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
occassionally same kit appears in ebay.. which might actually be easier to get than the ones from trademe

G

Unregistered
Picked up my new intercooler last week...ooooohhooo..custom made. It's a bit unconventional, but then so am I.

Top Bottom