The Intercooler Thread

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
OK so if I'm understanding this thread correctly our best choice would be.
Intercooler PIPES 2 to 2.5 inch stepping up to 3 inch at the intercooler inlet and of course returning to 2 or 2.5 at the outlet.

The Intercooler size anything around 600x200x70 including Benny's 400x300. But nothing bigger than 300 as it is to high and nothing wider than 75 as some metal cutting will need to be preformed. Bar and plate is best.

Check the inside of the intercooler to insure that it is clean of metal fragments which could "frak" the motor.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
yeah but is that relevant to me, remember only 12" from turbo to intercooler and 4" from intercooler to throttle body..;)

Yes, forgot about your application-sorry:(
In that case, get an expander from the turbo and keep it 3 inch, get a cooler with 3inch inlet/outlets, 3inch to throttle body.

Should be very responsive:)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
OK so if I'm understanding this thread correctly our best choice would be.
Intercooler PIPES 2 to 2.25 inch stepping up to 3 inch at the intercooler inlet and of course returning to 2 or 2.25 at the outlet.

The Intercooler size anything around 600x200x70 including Benny's 400x300. But nothing bigger than 300 as it is to high and nothing wider than 75 as some metal cutting will need to be preformed. Bar and plate is best.

Check the inside of the intercooler to insure that it is clean of metal fragments which could "frak" the motor.

Peter, Yes, i would suggest a PWR core in the 400x300x100 size- they are the best value for money in that size.

The A.R.E cores are industry leading, you will pay more for them as they are without peer. Richard has spent 10 of thousands of hours testing and developing them for a massive range of applications.
I use and custom dual pass core as my radiator in the nissan, its smaller than the oem core and incredibly efficient. never gets above 79degrees on road and never above 90 on the track. I challenge any other company to better that:D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The throttle body is 60mm (sometimes 64mm) which is around 2.5". To me it makes no sense in reducing the piping out of the intercooler to 2" or 2.25", you might as well make it 2.5" the whole way to the throttle body.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Just to add;
I have factory y pipe then goes to 2.5 from the join down to the fmic (600x300x76) then is flared upto 3" into the cooler then 3" out of cooler flared down to 2.5" all the way upto throttle body with a silicon elbow that goes from 2.5" to 2.75" for the throttle body. I find this to be very responsive and boost comes on faster than stock application.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
anyone out there heard of a delta fin IC. Looks interesting
49b6_1.jpg

486e_1.jpg

does anybody know much about this style of cooler??

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
fellas.. got a question lingering in my head for quite some time now..

as we all know most intercooler install are on a vertical position.. are there benefits in positioning the intercooler in a slant position? as in the top being leaned forward or back a little.. I notice this kind of install are done on RX-7 (Series 7 or 8?!), silvia (s14 & s15) and i think i saw a couple within supra..

what's your comment about this type install?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I think they do that because of space restrictions in rx7's as they are very small nose... to get the bigger cooler need to tilt it? thats my guees anyway

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Chris in order to achieve maximum airflow through the core you want the IC mounted perpendicular to the flow, ie vertical. As Brent said, angled design decisions are made to overcome space restrictions - as we don't have to concern ourselves with that in the VR4 (in fact, by angling your IC you'll have LESS space) its not something I'd concern myself with :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i knew that our coolers won't have much room to play with, its just a thought i've had..

what if we had the cooler on an angle (top part leaning forward) and have vents to guide it out to the back and/or out the hood? and as well as have air guides at the fronts too.. ?!?!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
A 600x260x76 with the end tanks fit fine on mine (again sourced from Ivan).

It seems like it won't fit together (ie, cut/bash the crash bar) until you bolt it in and works like a charm. No movement at all and sits vertically :)

G

Unregistered
christian, that will work . An intercooler can be mounted at stupid angles and still retain almost all its efficiency, i'm talking 45% plus. Have an article on it where it was done

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
just popped into Autobarn and they are selling 600x300x75 bar and plate coolers for $229 ! has anyone else seen these, or for that matter bought one? was under my car on the weekend and found that my cooler has taken a bit of a hit underneath it and i am thinking for that price i should grab one just in case mine has a bit of a leak.

G

Unregistered
hey guys is there any good places in sydney that do custom intercooler piping? i have some coolers im looking at just waant the hard piping done adn install bov.

cheers

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
wat do u guys think of his as a cheap option?????? should work with a
au-BOV8140-PIP-BOV4-3.jpg
little bit of work

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You might be able to cut it to pieces to get it to suit but it will be a lot of work.

Top Bottom